Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Shamoon && the Iranian nation-state team

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 16:17:24 -0400

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Haroon Meer <haroon () thinkst com> wrote:
Heya(s)

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 7:54 PM, Dave Aitel <dave () immunityinc com> wrote:

[SNIP]

The interesting corollary is that not only do you have to extend your information security
umbrella over your own private industry, you have to extend it over your
allies as well...:>

The 3 (other) interesting things to note here are:
- The Iranians didn't really need to prove capability by taking out
Aramco. I mean.. they (seem to have) captured a drone in flight and
certainly have allies of their own with proven capability;
- The people who need to know opposing teams capabilities, probably
dont need to learn it from headline stealing attacks;
- Attribution.. maybe its not that easy after all ;>

When the United States entered Afghanistan, the Chinese entered Iran.
It was Chinese sigint that captured the drone. By the way, it was more
than one drone, too - we only got to read about one (and it was more
than US drones, too).

Jeff