Dailydave mailing list archives

The silver plated real deal?

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunityinc com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 16:31:00 -0400

If you haven't read it, this is a good read:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/julian-assange-i-am-ndash-like-all-hackers-ndash-a-little-bit-autistic-2358654.html

"""
The thrill was exorbitant. It was like the first time you beat an adult
at chess. I'm amazed when I run into people who don't understand the
pleasure in this, for it is the pleasure of creation itself, of
understanding something intimately and making it new.
"""

Likewise Greg Hoglund has a funny post here now:
http://fasthorizon.blogspot.com/2011/09/apt-plain-hard-truth.html

"""
Everything looks bad. So, it's no wonder that hackers can just plug
something new in and nobody notices. As long as it doesn't infect five
million residential banking customers then nobody is going have a
description of the suspect. That is the reality of hacking today, and it
has nothing to do with advanced persistent threat. It has to do with the
enterprise and the complete LACK of control you have over the endpoint.
When security is limited to the network perimeter, you are not in control.
"""

Bruce Sterling has this (quite long screed) to say about Julian Assange:
http://www.webstock.org.nz/blog/2010/the-blast-shack/
"""
Then there is Julian Assange, who is a pure-dye underground computer
hacker. Julian doesn't break into systems at the moment, but he's not an
"ex-hacker," he's the silver-plated real deal, the true avant-garde.
Julian is a child of the underground hacker milieu, the digital-native
as twenty-first century cypherpunk.
"""

And then of course there's this, which examines China's new aircraft
carrier:
http://exiledonline.com/war-nerd-china-joins-the-yacht-club/

I don't know if any of that is true or even how all those things connect.

-dave