Dailydave mailing list archives

The BarCon Call For Paper is now open!

From: the grugq <thegrugq () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 01:54:41 +0700

Fellow Daily Dave lurkers,

I'm happy to inform you that the BarCon Call For Papers is now open...
for approximately 48 hours. If you are not familiar with the guiding
principles of BarCon, check out our website: http://www.thebarcon.org

If you'd like to join us for hardcore uncensored security talks that
skip to the good bits (and some serious drinking) here's your chance.
Sordid details below.

Talks are one beer, plus or minus beers depending on if anyone
actually cares about what you have to say. Its sorta like speed
dating, but with beer and a lot more dudes. The CFP for BarCon opens
on Monday, July 18th 2011, and closes after 48 hours. Hopefully, even
major procrastinators like Dino can put 2 sentences in an email, or
tweet, in 48 hours and click send.

Since the setting is a bar with good drinks and lots of people you
already know, it should be relatively obvious what topics are
acceptable for BarCon.  However, as proven by InfoSuck, some people are
just plain dense. So for you folks, here is a non exhaustive list of
acceptable and unacceptable talks.

Acceptable
1. Something Awesome
2. Any story that starts with "I was drinking"
3. The last 5 minutes of most of the presentations at BlackHat, not
including credits and Q&A
4. Anything you would never tell on camera or on stage to a bunch of
people you don't know
5. Any story that starts with "In my day", where "my day" is beyond the
statue of limitations

Unacceptable
1. FISMA/SOX or other compliance related topic
2. Anything involving the use or mention of CISSP, WhiteHat, or disclosure
3. Involves tunneling something over DNS
4. SQL Injection, because we look down on it, even though it is used
to break into everything in the news these days
5. Disclosure of more of Charlie Millers iPhone/Flash/PDF 0Day, as my
fuzzer has finally caught up and you are screwing me too

Submissions should be sent to cfp () thebarcon org or tweeted to @TheBarCon
and should include a picture (hopefully a funny one) or a shrubbery.

If your talk isn't accepted, do not despair, you can try your hand at
"Open Mic Security Night". You'll know if people want to hear your talk
because they won't be booing you off the stage (WARNING: we will not be
able to install chicken wire in time for BarCon).

(All participants and speakers must be 21 years or older, it's a bar)