Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Facebook

From: Arun Koshy <arunkoshy () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2011 01:46:24 +1000

Dave --

medium for communication. In other words, why can't we have a
Firefox/Chrome plugin that takes everything you say over Facebook and
GPG encrypts it, doing automatic key exchange with your friends.

I think many on list have had this thought. However, lets assume that someone :

a) designs a fairly transparent service

b) makes it beautiful and simple enough for average users to the level
of the padlock they never bother to see while shopping on Amazon,
E-Bay etc ( who're mostly there to talk about their family , photos
and other such interests )

c) really scales it up beyond the readership here and strikes out at
segment of users ( not that big but enough to start looking like a
tipping point, say 5M out of 500M )

Then something like this happens :

1) Mark " they trust me, dumb [beep]s " Zuckerman swoops down on
activity and screws up the effort.

2) TIME, Newsweek and the wikileaks dude cry a river over the rape of
privacy. MZ continues to laugh and plans his Goldman enabled IPO.

You don't mess with someone's revenue streams or humanity's proud
march toward 1984. Eventually, all of us will be a walking Amway drone
( if not worse ).

-- a./-