Dailydave mailing list archives

PSN Breach

From: Alex McGeorge <alexm () immunityinc com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 00:59:04 -0400

List,

Details are still sketchy but it seems like we can start asking
interesting navel gazing questions with the information at hand. Given
the following: someone owned the PSN to such a degree that it has been
shut down for days now and those parties seem to have the ability to
manipulate firmware on PS3 consoles. How many PS3 consoles do I need to
own before I have enough computing power to draw the attention of spooky
agencies the world over?

The US got jumpy when Saddam Hussein bought a couple hundred PS2s,
granted those were supposed to be the brain inside a missile, but what
about PS3s? A few million? Even a few hundred thousand? What kind of
problems can you start solving with that horse power?

Folks seem to be concerned with possible identity theft and stolen
credit card numbers. Those are important concerns to be sure but it's
not the only interesting question.

Cheers,
-AlexM

--