Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Standing up an intel op with seized funds

From: Nick Selby <nick.selby () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 19:19:32 -0400

Because Roland raised such an important point about the apparent conflict of
interest where one man runs both asset forfeiture and intelligence, last
night I sent Roland's comments over to Patrick Ryder, the subject of the
article and podcast which raised this discussion in the first place. Paddy
was traveling until this afternoon but has just replied:

<reply from Patrick Ryder>
I may not have made myself clear in the distinctions between the two
entities.

The first entity is Asset Forfeiture, which was set up in our County in 1992
after Congress allowed law enforcement to take the items seized during
criminal activity and use them to fund items to assist law enforcement in
the war on drugs. The three items you are allowed to take are: the
instruments of the crime; the proceeds of the crime; and the substituted
proceeds of a crime. These items have traditionally been confiscated by law
enforcement, usually as evidence.

Upon conviction of the individual, a civil suit is taken against the
individual and the items, which is usually settled at time of a criminal
plea. The items are then sold at auction or, in the case of money, put into
one of four agency accounts: Treasury, Justice, Felony (State law) and
Misdemeanor (Local law).

There is a committee that votes on all purchases. Items can not supplant
normal budgetary items, and can only supplement the normal budget.

There are strict Guidelines set up and an audited process done yearly by the
department of Justice.

The second part is the intelligence, and I use two quotes when I lecture:
"Should intelligence influence Politics? or Should Politics influence
Intelligence?" We all know the first quote is the correct one, but we also
know that politics tries to influence the intelligence process. By combining
the two entities, we created sustainability to the Intelligence program;
asset Forfeiture, if done correctly is sustainable on its own. The
intelligence is driven on criminal and terrorism cases, the money angle is
usually found in all of these cases, whether it was done as a funding
mechanism (terror), payment (murder for hire) or pure greed (Profit).

The forfeiture in all cases is subsidiary to the criminal investigation, and
is meant to remove the profit from crime. When an investigation comes in
from the criminal investigator and work-ups are done, assets are looked at -
because it supports a criminal lifestyle and money trails are followed for
payments or profit. At the end of the day, when arrests are made, we then
start the proceedings for forfeiture to remove the profit from the
criminals.

I understand your concern, because the last thing you want in such a good
program like forfeiture is the perception that cases are driven by
forfeiture. That is why criminal investigations are supported by financial
investigators and not run by the financial investigator. We have gone well
above the reporting requirements for forfeiture, and make sure the program
is beyond reproach, but we still get accusations.

The Government has removed some agencies' ability to conduct forfeiture
after audits because of their lavish purchases and going outside the
guidelines. Any investigator worth his salt will never allow a case to be
driven by the potential for forfeiture, but at the same time he uses
financial intelligence to assist him early in the investigation.

I hope this answers your concern and I welcome further conversation
regarding this issue or any other.

Thanks,
Paddy</reply>

It seems to me that he is saying that NCPD engages in civil forfeiture only
after criminal conviction - or at the time of a plea deal in a criminal
case. If anyone wants to take him up on his (I believe genuine) offer to
discuss this, please contact me off list and I will provide an introduction.

Nick