Dailydave mailing list archives

Tom Ricks, Cyber Strategy, Usenix.

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunityinc com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 09:49:23 -0400

So I'm going to be delivering one and half hours of my opinions on
extremely high level cyber strategy at Usenix, August 10th, in San
Fransisco <http://www.usenix.org/events/sec11/tech/>. One and a half
hours is a long time. By then the Prezi will have pictures, I promise.
And not all from infosuck.org. :>

Generally cyber strategy, possibly because of the term cyberwar, has
been subsumed into military strategy (aka, treated as a "domain", etc.).
That may or may not be the best way to do it. Tom Ricks
<http://ricks.foreignpolicy.com/>, who I like to think of as an
interesting thinker in that area, and who is a fellow at CNAS, writes
fiction as well. And in his latest fiction
<http://www.amazon.com/Soldiers-Duty-Novel-Thomas-Ricks/dp/0375760202/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1309353092&sr=8-8>,
the cyber person was spouting gibberish, and was named, I kid you not,
Captain Cisco. It's a shame because as LulzSec has shown, the truth in
Cyber is more weird and interesting than the fiction!

I'm not trying to make fun of Tom Ricks, but in the past year we've had
the head of DHS say that she didn't understand Cyber
<http://seclists.org/dailydave/2010/q3/25>. CNAS is quoting DARPA with
weird quotes <http://seclists.org/dailydave/2011/q2/87> on the average
size of malware that make no sense. And of course we've stood up a Cyber
Command <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Cyber_Command> and
declared that cyber attacks that have real impact are an act of war
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304563104576355623135782718.html>.

You can't "Captain Cisco" your way to success here. You have to take the
time to actually understand cyber before you create strategy around it.
Maybe we will have a few policy makers come to the Usenix talk. :>

-dave