Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: The strategic difference of 0day

From: Rafal Los <rafal () IsHackingYou com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 20:31:14 -0700

Maybe I'm just living too closely to this world but, Dave you already answered your own question. Why slave over nOP
sleds and guessing at just the right memory addresses and hoping a system doesn't crash when you can walk right in
through the web app and take what you want, or worse, implant yourself

I think organizations have "figured out" how to lock down ports after nearly three decades of security people
preaching, and since there are much easier ways in...well hell why bother?

So in the end I believe the answer is a mixture of risk/reward shift from attacking services and towards readily open
applications, and some combination of "black hats keeping their cool 0day secret", too many script kids, and apathy.

Raf / Wh1t3Rabbit