Dailydave mailing list archives

Covert Timing Channel Data

From: Melissa Stockman <melissa.stockman1 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 18:33:43 +0300

Hi All,

I'm doing research on covert timing channel detection and was not able to
get data from any of the authors of various papers describing different
covert timing channel techniques. Does anyone know where I can find such
data? (either the program to generate it, or the actual interarrival times
in a comma separated file)

The particular covert timing channel that I'm interested in is one that uses
the network interpacket delay time to signal bits or codes. What I'm asking
for is a tcp covert timing channel as for example in (Berk 2005), Detection
of Covert Channel Encoding in Network Packet Delays.
http://www.ists.dartmouth.edu/library/149.pdf.

The main objective of my research is not to create covert timing channels
but rather to detect them. I am looking for specifically others who have
written tcp covert timing channels which are impervious to detection by
regular statistical analysis (distributions, entropy, regularity,
e-similarity) and who would be willing to share their data.

I have already written one myself but would also like to test my technique
on someone elses.

Regards,

Melissa