Dailydave mailing list archives

visualizing security techniques

From: travis+ml-dailydave () subspacefield org
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 17:20:45 -0700

So for those of you who make presentations for non-experts, I was
wondering if you had any ideas on how to create compelling
graphics/video/animations for security presentations.

Now, I don't need fancy graphics to explain something to this list - I
can just say DEP or ALSR or ROP and we're all on the same page.  But
for teaching the concept in the first place... sometimes some
animation is worth a thousand words.

I almost finished an electrical engineering degree before switching to
CS, and I found myself inventing a method for visualizing linear
circuits.  Electricity was water, a capacitor was a bladder, resistors
were narrowing of the pipes, and an inductor was... well, no direct
analogy, but I had a visualization for the magnetic field building up
and collapsing.  Turns out I wasn't the only one who did this, but I
was upset I had to invent it independently.

Other things that really could benefit from visualization are mixing
in radio circuits and "beat frequencies" in audio.

So, does anyone have good ideas on making presentations for teaching
security concepts?  Do you guys have personal ways for visualizing
any security techniques or processes?

I'm mostly interested in F/LOSS tools, which certainly limits the
options available.  I use lyx with the Beamer template for
presentations, which produces nice PDFs, but it can't do animations or
embedded video clips.  If I can't find F/LOSS, I'll just use a
proprietary tool and produce some free output format, possibly a video
file with voiceover.  Some screencast software here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_screencasting_software

Anyone have experience with these?

PS: If anyone here has network security inclinations, perhaps you
can tell me how to best graphically explain this:

http://www.subspacefield.org/security/dfd/
--
Good code works on most inputs; correct code works on all inputs.
If you are a spammer, please email john () subspacefield org to get blacklisted.