Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: "We're in the top of the league."

From: Nate Lawson <nate () root org>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 19:37:43 -0800

gold flake wrote:
I am not from US and was for almost 10 years part of my government's
cyber security setup.  I can vouch for the claims regarding "some
foreign power"'s attacks.  These are systematic, planned and
relentless attacks that we also faced.  The vector was spear phishing
in most cases and the thumb drive method was used to propagate the
malware to the internal segment.  The malware called home (mostly
China) and downloaded backdoors, key-loggers and other nasties.  To my
knowledge these attacks are still going on.  Clueless users were our
biggest problem apart from a lethargic bureaucracy.

The government is just a very large company. They experience the same
security problems as other big companies. I'm always annoyed to hear the
"we're under cyber attack via cyber warfare using cyber malware".

Please... you're under attack just like any other big company with
extremely valuable assets. You're not any more special than that. It's
possible the IRS is more valuable a target than Joe Random sergeant's PC.

--
Nate