Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Two things your grandchildren will never read: Newspapers, and "Proceedings"

From: Marco Ermini <marco.ermini () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 09:57:19 +0200

2009/8/11 dave:
[...]
There's many institutions the Internet is going to destroy. Of all of
them, perhaps Academia is going the quietest. Every time someone posts
about the "Proceedings" of something, or a "peer reviewed journal" or
posts a bibliography of a paper-bound book, it's like hearing the
rasping sighs of the last dieing brontosaurus.
[...]

I don't see anything wrong with this paper. Looks like it's a good
piece of education for novices. If only academias where so useful in
Italy... :-) but none of this is explained in many, many Universities
and computer programmed are on their own about security, before and
after graduation.

By the way, looks like some newspaper like the Seattle Times, are
gaining back popularity, since they have cut on not useful staff and
invested on local and inquiry journalism.

The distribution media may change, but inquiry journalism is needed
now more than before, and it is demonstrated that, ironically, the
increased availability of information does not automatically increase
its quality - quite the contrary, it is more difficult than before to
find good quality information, since we are submerged with crap and
the only allowed journalists are "embedded", and not only in wars...

For instance, who knows that the suburbs of Paris are under riots
since two days? no "major" (cnn, fox, bbc, etc.) media reports it.
But, it was diffused by authoritative agencies like Associated Press.
I personally learned it through my company's travel service that was
advising about travelling to Paris. Did some research, and found it
mainly on Al Jazeera... today looks like there is better coverage, but
still nothing on cnn or bbc.

This blog post:
http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2009/08/024243.php makes a good
point.

I don't know if newspaper will disappear, but I think we need them
more than ever. At least the good ones, and look like there are
examples of business cases where you can really make a profit if you
decide to stop being the usual reprint-from-agencies and really do
your investigations.

Cheers
--
Marco Ermini