Dailydave mailing list archives

As-if Infinitely Ranged Integer Model

From: Robert Seacord <rcs () cert org>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 09:05:18 -0400

The Secure Coding Initiative at CERT has published a new Technical Note CMU/SEI-2009-TN-023 entitled "As-if Infinitely
Ranged Integer Model".

Abstract:

Integer overflow and wraparound are major causes of software vulnerabilities in the C and C++ programming languages. In
this paper we present the as-if infinitely ranged (AIR) integer model, which provides a largely automated mechanism for
eliminating integer overflow and integer truncation. The AIR integer model either produces a value equivalent to one
that would have been obtained using infinitely ranged integers or results in a runtime constraint violation.  Unlike
existing optimizations.

Authors:

David Keaton (self)
Thomas Plum (Plum Hall Inc.)
Robert C. Seacord (SEI/CERT)
David Svoboda (SEI/CERT)
Alex Volkovitsky (SEI/CERT)
Timothy Wilson (SEI/CERT)

A PDF Download of this paper is available at: http://www.sei.cmu.edu/publications/documents/09.reports/09tn023.html

I would be interested in hearing your opinions on this work, either publically or privately.

We are planning on continuing this project, as described by the report.

Thanks,
rCs

----
Robert C. Seacord