Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Staying on the treadmill.

From: Joanna Rutkowska <joanna () invisiblethingslab com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 16:07:21 +0200

dave wrote:
People (this means you) like to think hard about game changing events in
the world of hacking. But just staying on the treadmill of exploit after
exploit can be a game changing event.

For example, today you may have noticed that Intevydis
(http://www.intevydis.com/vulndisco.shtml) released as part of their
latest exploit pack, some exploits for all the major access
point/mini-router firmwares. Not CSRF "exploits" or XSS "exploits". I
mean "Here's a shell, now you get to install new programs and muck with
the router's configuration" exploits.

For a lot of people (not you) it's hard to care about such things. The
inevitable ennui sets in: "oh, not another one", "that one is similar to
one I found in 1992AD", "well, if you had good patch management that's
the best you can do!", etc. etc.

The magic is in finding each one of these things unique and special and
worth of attention.

... or, instead of being an exploit fetishist, one might try to design their
network in such a way that a compromise of your network devices is not fatal.
Same for PDF viewers, browsers, etc. and how you design your computer system.

Sure, it's cool to write exploits -- that always impresses people. We also do
that at ITL. E.g. we will be showing a couple of VM escape exploits during our
upcoming virtualization training (and we really are excited about those
exploits!), but the whole point is to illustrate how a good design (in that
particular case of your hypervisor) and new technologies (e.g. VT-d or TXT) can
mitigate a problem of exploits, even if we cannot find and patch them all.

I think one should not forget that an exploit, no matter how cool, is only an
illustration of a problem. The actual solutions often have nothing to do with
how exploits are written. Do you really think VT-d designers were heap-overflow
ninjas? I doubt.

joanna.