Dailydave mailing list archives

School project start: a fuzzer

From: Martin Zember <martin.zember () matfyz cz>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 11:11:29 +0200

Hi community,

could you please give me some advice about a school project? It is an
obligatory team project.

We plan to create a fuzzer. I hope it makes sense to build another fuzzer,
since different fuzzers find different bugs, right..? ;-)

We have a lot of time (9 months, 5 people, 1day per week), but not more, so it
is not a good ground for research. The project should be implemented,
documented, finished, presented. The question is, how deep can we go (what to
promise in the specification)? My guess is that detecting success during
fuzzing only when application crashes is too lame. "Feedback fuzzing" is maybe
too complicated. What is realistic?

Even though it would be nice, we did not find a paid project, which is
interesting enough. We are not obliged to do a fuzzer so other suggestions or
warnings are welcome.

Martin