Dailydave mailing list archives

Google has a Cloud and You have a Fog part 2 :>

From: Dave Aitel <dave () kof immunityinc com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 03:11:19 -0400

Great blog on the subject of scalability from the ops manager at Google.
http://vijaygill.wordpress.com/

Article on recent talk (well worth reading):
Basically, Vijay Gill is like "Yeah, you're doing it wrong" to the guys who
run the infrastructure for Microsoft and Yahoo. You can't support arbitrary
API's and call it a Cloud with a big C. It's awesome.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/27/google_mocks_microsoft_online_infrastructure/

Video of talk:
http://www.livestream.com/gigaomtv (Click "On the shoulders of giants" from
the menu, and scroll to the 9 minute mark or so where it gets interesting).

Likewise, we're doing something different with this week's Shellcode
training in Singapore (http://www.syscan.org/Sg/WritingWindowsShellcode.html).
Instead of distributing lots of Python code and asking people to learn both
Python, assembly, and shellcoding, we have a web application. The goal is to
make the whole process visible and interactive. I.E. when you type in
assembly on one side, it assembles it and puts it on the other side as you
go. That way you can play shellcode golf and have instant feedback as to how
well you're doing. At some point it's going on Google App Engine (it's
Django already since everything Immunity does is) so we can train up
thousands at once. Note how you don't have to care at all if you do 5, 1K,
or 1M people on Google App Engine. It's because Vijay Gill is 100% right.

Of course, I think hackers have the original cloud model and there's still
lots of interesting work to be done there as well. :>

[image: shellcode.png]