Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: In defense of Mandatory Access Control, was Re: No more Novell AppArmor?

From: spender () grsecurity net (Brad Spengler)
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 21:03:50 -0400

MLS basically adds in the Bell-LaPadula model, so that Secret programs
produce Secret data, and can't read Top Secret data.

1) The complexity of policy is directly related to how fine-grained
you want your access control to be.

I'm a bit surprised about seeing so many people being snarky about
such a powerful security technology.  I guess I'll just have to chalk
it up to cynicism about any new protective technologies; it's cool to
be dismissive and aloof.  If you can find major areas it doesn't
cover, you can call it ineffective.

It is cool to be dismissive and aloof about "new" (9 year old)
technologies.  Otherwise you're just the SELinux version of the "year of
Linux on the desktop!" guy.  Regarding ineffectiveness (and specifically in
regards to "proofs" and words such as "can't" and complexity/usability
trade-offs) I won't repeat myself, since everything that needed to be
said or demonstrated was done 2 years ago:
http://lists.immunitysec.com/pipermail/dailydave/2007-March/004133.html

They say a picture is worth a thousand words.  A little bird gave me
this:
http://grsecurity.net/~spender/mac_security_sesamestreet.jpg

-Brad