Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: phpbb.com hacked...

From: Robert Graham <robert_david_graham () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 15:12:23 -0800 (PST)

I ran the passwords through an analysis program to gather statistics on them. I posted a summary of the results here:
http://www.darkreading.com/blog/archives/2009/02/phpbb_password.html

35% of passwords are 6-characters. Here is the top 20 list:

Here is the top 20 passwords from the phpbb dataset:
3.03% "123456"
2.13% "password"
1.45% "phpbb"
0.91% "qwerty"
0.82% "12345"
0.59% "12345678"
0.58% "letmein"
0.53% "1234"
0.50% "test"
0.43% "123"
0.36% "trustno1"
0.33% "dragon"
0.31% "abc123"
0.31% "123456789"
0.31% "111111"
0.30% "hello"
0.30% "monkey"
0.28% "master"
0.22% "killer"
0.22% "123123"

Why are "dragon", "master", and "killer" so popular? Since the phpbb dataset includes e-mail addresses, I'm thinking of
e-mailing the people and ask them why they chose that particular password. Likewise, while I know that "trustno1" was a
password used in the X-Files, I forget where "letmein" and "monkey" come from (I know they were used in movies/tv, I
just forget which ones).