Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Stuff you might have missed in the CANVAS Ecosystem

From: Matthew Wollenweber <mjw () cyberwart com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 14:27:46 -0400

Dave/Gleg,

Every now and then some exploits, such as the below really interest me
and my team. But it would be helpful if announcements contained a bit
more information. I know you have to balance disclosure but a couple
things that might help:

1. What versions of the software are affected?
2. Is the software in a common or default configuration?
3. What security zone is required for the exploit to work?
4. The exploit enables remote code execution?
5. How reliable is the exploit (ballpark -- for example a buffer
overflow you've never seen fail or a complicated heap corruption bug
that sometimes works).

For me, that's the basic information I want before purchasing an exploit
and IMO I don't think it gives away enough to easily go look for the bug
myself.