Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: The audacity of thinking you're not owned

From: Parity <pty.err () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 23:42:03 +0200

Yeah, I think we're thinking along the same lines.  You can do exactly three
things to improve your odds in a blind spoofing race:

1. Increase the transmission rate of your guesses - neither interesting nor
fixable

2. Increase the accuracy of your guesses - this probably only works vs
individual implementations, unless the DNS protocol provides a way to
deplete the entropy pool from which TXID's are selected.  I'm not ruling it
out just yet, but it doesn't seem like the most fertile ground for mass
ownage.

3. Increase the duration of the attack window - i.e., incapacitate or stall
the legitimate responder.

My money is on #3.

Supplemental note to Halvar & everybody else who has said, in effect, "this
is why SSL was invented" -- there's more to internet security than the route
from your computer to your online bank.  Have you thought about what this
bug implies for NTLM?  Or every virgin OS installation on the planet?  Or
Google's entire business model?

shutting up now,

pty