Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Samba, Google, and The Audacity of Hope

From: dominique.brezinski () gmail com
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 00:44:18 +0000

Sorry for the top post...too difficult to quote from a blackberry.

I gave a presentation at black hat Tokyo a few years ago on security of interpreted languages and the interpreter as
attack surface that has to be taken into account for certain applications.

I do a lot more ruby stuff than python, so I took a quick look, as did John McDonald, and we found a few int overflows
in the first few minutes. It seems that the issue of interpreter robustness is just about to break into the mainstream
consciousness of security folks, but to some degree these issues have been in small-scale discussions for years now.

It sounds like the python guys are more responsive and open than the ruby core community. I had a lot of problems
trying to discuss the underlying issues with core ruby developers. They were quick to try to shut me up and out of
their little world. I hope that changes in the future.

Cheers,
Dom
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile