Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Security FAIL.

From: Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 23:05:28 +0200

* Dave Aitel:

http://blogs.the451group.com/security/?p=16

The 451 Group has an interesting article on the FAIL that is the AV
industry right now. I like the last paragraph especially where they
reference the "illusion of competence". As they note, having a better
metric to test the AV industry (like number of people with it installed
who get owned by malware) would largely benefit consumers as a whole. I
wouldn't look for anything here soon.

There is a general insistence in the AV industry to test only malware
which is a few weeks old.  In testing, you also get sort-of competitive
performance with MD5-based checking, even if the malware in question is
made MD5-unique before actual deployment.

I'm not sure if it's a problem for the AV companies, though.  Their
brands are quite strong, and the policies that guarantee them a steady
revenue stream are well-enshrined industry-wide.  Certainly it's not
going to affect them in the current CEO cycle, and that's why they
aren't dealing with it aggressively.  But I agree that we're heading
towards a profound change in technology and business models.