Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: PCI-DSS and ssh public key question

From: Raymond Forbes <rforbes () e-stalkers net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 20:04:54 -0700

You have to ask yourself.  Can you track individual users based on their
private key or will everything just show up as "root" in the logs?

For PCI, you need to be able to show evidence that each transaction is
associated with a particular person and you can track it.  If you can do
that, I think you should be ok.

however, I am not an auditor, so take it for what it's worth.

-Raymond

Paul Wouters wrote:
Hi people,

Does anyone have a definitive answer on whether ssh public key encryption,
without hardware tokens, is allowed according to PCI-DSS?

pci_audit_procedures_v1-1.pdf section 8 seems to suggest passwords for
everyone or two factor auth, and sudo passwords for everyone for audit
trail.

Of course, this makes changing 100 servers' configuration requiring root
access either the worst job in the universe, or will see some awful
"expect" wrappers to stop sysadmins from leaving their job to serve coffee
at Star Bucks.

Personally, I would trust ssh keys over admins (inclusding myself) not
screwing up their password wrappers.

It seems the answer might be depending on your auditor.....

Paul

ps. I know using ssh with passwords and wrappers on top of sudo wrappers
sucks and is actually less secure (go find that password in the bash_history
file). It is not myself I'm trying to convince here.....