Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Printers

From: "Adrian P" <unknown.pentester () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 16:16:47 +0000

Well, to me, embedded devices are the overlooked backdoor to corporate
networks. There is not enough attention being paid to "miscellaneous"
embedded devices such as IP phones, cameras, printers, etc ...

Also let's not forget that what makes a "consumer grade" router is
becoming very blurry these days as home-type routers are being used in
SOHOs and corporate networks (ie: Linksys routers)

What's exciting to me is not only the fact that many of these devices
can be broken into so easily, but also what can be done _after_
compromising them: stepping stone attacks. In other words: you might
have web/app server properly segmented but what about all those random
"not big deal" embedded devices exposed to the Internet but located in
the LAN of the corporate network? Most people say: "well, you can
break into my printer, what a big deal". Well, maybe being able to
stop printjobs is not a big deal, but perhaps you can enable port
forwarding via the web console of UPnP in order to probe internal
systems - then things do get interesting. The possibilities are
endless!

After researching embedded devices for a while I've realized that the
web interfaces and insecure built-in protocols such as UPnP
(authentication-less) are the low hanging fruit for attacking such
systems. I mean, you find web security bugs that reminds you of things
people would find in the early 90s.

Anyway, for those interested in this topic I will be giving my
"Cracking into Embedded Devices and Beyond!" presentation which will
demo Hollywood-style camera hacks (replacing video stream with
infinite loop), and wardriving over the Internet via owned embedded
devices: http://conference.hackinthebox.org/hitbsecconf2008dubai/?page_id=186

Regards,
AP.