Dailydave mailing list archives

Passwords with different roles. Not so hard. Why don't we have this?

From: "Dave Aitel" <dave.aitel () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 10:20:34 -0500

http://techland.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/01/18/the-hard-side-of-mister-softie/

Contact lists are important to users. Butwhy can't I have a password that
just lets an online service access my contact lists, without giving them
full control of my account? How come Mint and every other financial service
get full control of your CC accounts when you want to use them? I saw
Microsoft's ID Guru give a keynote at CSI this year, and while there was a
lot of talk of cards and wallets, I didn't see an option pop up in hotmail
for "password allow someone access to your contact list". Does openID solve
this problem? Google IM just integrated with AIM, which is moving to Jabber
anyways. Eventually we'll all have a user-ID from the AIM-GOOGLE alliance
unless Microsoft or some other big player steps up and gives users
flexibility to assign different passwords different roles on their own
account.

Also, why can't I attach an email to my CC number? Would make online
purchases a lot more secure.

-dave