Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: 0day RealServer exploit demo

From: admin () gleg net
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 07:56:55 -0700

Hi,

On 04 January 2008 08:15, admin () gleg net wrote:

Hi,

On 03 January 2008 10:26, admin () gleg net wrote:

The demonstrated CANVAS module exploits a heap overflow vulnerability
in RealServer. The exploit was available to our clients since Oct 3, 2007.

Feel free to email me if any questions appear.

  Ok, since you did say "any questions", I do have a question:

Q:    What's the bug and how do I trigger it (apart from by buying
VulnDisco)?

Honestly, what answer you expect to get from me? ;-)

  A silly or humorous one!  :-)

  Plus, maybe, the start of a thread about those SWF demos that people are
always showing these days.

  Because after all, they're not very exciting to watch, and they're all
pretty much the same; you see a cursor, it makes a few selections from a few
dialog boxes, it clicks "Start", a window opens saying that it's a shell and
that it's running on a different machine...  apart from the text in the
drop-down box in the dialog when the particular exploit is selected, they're
all basically identical.  And of course they are all showing you the dull end
of the exploit, when all the 'action' is taking place at the remote end.  I
thought it might be interesting to raise the topic of whether they could be
made more demonstrative and informative yet without giving too much away that
people don't want to disclose.

  For example, it might be possible to add a little picture-in-picture inset,
showing a sort of broad overview of the target process' memory space, maybe
using different colours to show the evil data arriving in the
target's memory,
being processed, and ending up being executed.  Something like that
might give
people a general idea of whether it was a heap or a buffer overflow, and how
clever/tricky it was, without giving away enough information to even start
trying to reverse it; but imagine watching a unicode venetian blind exploit
constructing itself in front of your eyes, or seeing strings being
concatenated until they spill out of a buffer.  There must be ideas like this
that could add value to what are otherwise fairly dull demos, don't
you think?

Nice thread, any ideas how I could make our demos more interesting
will be greatly appreciated ;-)

Lately I updated realplayer flash demo, we are using CANVAS to take a
screenshot.

--
Best regards,
Evgeny Legerov