Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Parallelism

From: Curt <tuigim () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 13:32:41 -0400

I don't find it odd that they're getting the press.  Sure, RapidMind
is good stuff, and really lowers the bar for parallel programming, but
hand tuned programs will still be faster, just slower to develop.
What I do find odd is that Elcomsoft actually applied for a patent on
it.  I mean, you have Lavalys who has a program called EVEREST that
does "aes multi-threaded benchmark" and supports nVidia cards.  And
there are many others who have crypto projects on video hardware.  You
even have PureVideoHD by nVidia that supports AES on their own
hardware!  There will be plenty of prior art to void the patent.
Maybe they applied for the patent simply for the publicity that it
would generate?  Yeah, I think that's it.  Why else would they
announce to the press that they have "applied for" instead of wait
until they actually got it?

--Curt