Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: No more Novell AppArmor?

From: Kees Cook <kees () ubuntu com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 12:14:51 -0700

Hi,

On Sat, Oct 13, 2007 at 07:30:04PM -0400, Dave Aitel wrote:
http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9796140-39.html
"
Two years after acquiring the company that developed the AppArmor security
software for Linux, Novell has laid off team members behind the project,
CNET News.com has learned.
"

Personally, I never got it to work. But I understand SOME people really like
AppArmor...right? Does anyone really use it?

Enough people wanted to use it that it was enabled in Ubuntu Feisty, and
got more complete attention for Ubuntu Gutsy (as already mentioned).

AFAIU, Novell still has people working on AppArmor, and it will remain
their supported MAC for SLES 11.

I use it for confining things like Gaim, Firefox, and network games.
Super easy to build up the rules, and there are some nice docs about
using it[1] (which are only mildly specific to Ubuntu).

-Kees

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AppArmor

--
Kees Cook