Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Canada's Response to Black Hat - SecTor 2007

From: "Brian Bourne" <Brian () cms ca>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 19:49:14 -0400

Here's the list of Canadian Security events:
-       CanSecWest - (I've never managed to make it) But as far as I
know, its well established and respected, but a bit more hacker-ish and
a bit less corporate-friendly than BlackHat.  Correct me if I'm wrong,
but I suspect it runs the line between a BlackHat and a ShmooCon with a
leaning to ShmooCon.  It's also on the west coast in April, so I think
it fills out the year and country nicely if both CanSecWest and SecTor
do well!  Actually, if the organizers wanna contact me, we can do some
cross-promotion.
-       InfoSecurity Canada - A tradeshow with some conference sessions
filled with vendor speakers.
-       ReCon - Reverse Engineering focus
-       West Coast Security Forum - they keep trying hard, but somehow
manage to consistently upset sponsors and attendee's equally.

With SecTor we're really trying to model more after BH.  A depth look at
threats, but in a corporately friendly sort of way.  We're pulling
together both the best speakers from abroad and from Canada.  Actually,
I was pleasantly surprised how many good security researchers live in
Canada!  I've also been very pleased with the support of all the
speakers.  Take a look at 'em at http://www.sector.ca/speakers.htm

Complete tangent, but if anyone is coming up for SecTor, come for the
Monday night IT Security Week party at Steam Whistle - free to
attendees, and its gonna be a blast!  (www.itsecurityweek.ca)

/bb