Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Build Your Own Botnet with RDP

From: "Hamid . K" <elite_netbios () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 13:57:24 -0800 (PST)

Hi ,
What a surprise !
Today I was just thinking about the same topic for wiring,
but focusing on Citrix technology , and owning clients
through "shadowing" & "drive-mapping" features of Citrix MetaFrame .
I think abusing these will affect much more number of users .
I`ll update my blog ,covering this topic , as soon as I got some free hours.

The scary thing about both "tsclient" maps , and citrix drive-mapping is that
they`re both enabled by default . To make things even more interesting ,
Citrixs mapping implementation is NOT depended to file-sharing service
of OS at all . feel free to block inbound /outbound connections , stop related
services and even watch for SMB traffic . mapped drives will still pop-up at
the remote site :)

In case anybody likes to help me on this topic,  I`m looking for possible and
also reliable methods of detecting drive-mapping in network traffic (maybe finally some
snort rules ?) . This is to prevent farther compromises , if citrix server is 0wned.
even if admin has disabled drive-mapping , intruder can simply re-enable it
and enjoy "tactical exploitation" .
First problem is ICA protocol encryption , and second problem is false-positive
in detections ...

comments ?

And, the topic you`ve mentioned is already documented by
microsoft , and also have been briefly blogged here :
http://www.intelliadmin.com/blog/2007/08/backup-your-files-using-remote-desktop.html

Best Regards
Hamid.k