Dailydave mailing list archives

Immunity Debugger on eWeek

From: Julien Vanegue <jv274 () cl cam ac uk>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 13:19:50 +0100

Dave Aitel wrote:

If I had a quarter for every time someone said to me they were going
to reverse a binary into an intermediate language and do slicing on it
to find all the bugs, I'd ... well, I'd be able to buy some ice cream
at least.

I guess your point is not to state that these techniques are not
working, since many tools in the academic world are already doing
this on source code. Maybe thats why people talk about it ? Binary-level
tools that include program transformation facilities also start to appear
even if there is no commercial environment (afaik) providing it. The
gap between the research world and the security industry does not help
to setup much mutual respect, and I dont think your mail diverges from this
trend. It is a pity because each world has things to learn from the other.

Also, how much is an ice-cream on miami beach ? ;)

But regardless, the automatic analysis the article was
talking about refers to the script I was demoing at our booth at
defcon (linked off the Immunity Debugger web page):
http://www.immunityinc.com/images/immdbg-stackvars.png

Is this script bringing a real innovation, or is it just a
presentation of the well-known feature of local variables
recognition with some additional warning messages ?

Julien Vanegue