Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Immunity Debugger on eWeek

From: Bee Binger <bbinger123 () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 07:28:00 -0700 (PDT)

Any press is good right?

besides that this is just another flaky journalist trying to make a name for herself. If you look at these links:

http://findarticles.com/p/search?tb=art&qt=%22Lisa+Vaas%22
http://blog.eweek.com/blogs/eweek/archive/category/1243.aspx

you see she hasnt exactly written any mind blowing articles.

Some quotes from the linked article:

"Debugger comes with what Immunity says is the industry's first heap analysis tool built specifically for heap
creation."

Did she miss quote someone here? what exactly is "heap creation". I dont think the debugger is magically creating any
"heap"s somewhere.

Now from Marcus ( this is really sad ):

"What it means is more zero days, Marcus said." ..

What an idiot. This tool does not magically create anymore "zero day" they are already there. Maybe Marcus is mad
because he did not have the idea first? ( and judging from his comments the skill to make the tool )

Lets have another quote from clueless Lisa:

""We know the bugs are in the code. But making more and more tools" to make it easier to find those bugs, that, he
said, is not going to make his customers happy."

So she cuts off his quote to mis paraphrase again.  Marcus starts the quote by saying "we know the bugs are in the
code" and in the last part of his quote seems he was going to point out that they are alot of bugs but not easy way to
write exploits for all of them, but she misparaphrases him again and says "easier to find those bugs" when this is not
the point of immdbg at all. How could immdbg help you exploit bugs that you aren't aware exist?

Even the title of the article seems misleading.(             Immunity Unleashes Automatic Exploit Tool) I must of
missed the option in immdbg where you can give it a random binary with a heap overflow and it produces another binary
that exploits it reliably.

*yawn* another clueless/worthless journalist. She should stick to dell vs hp.

Hybridus <hybridus () gmail com> wrote:>>http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2166829,00.asp