Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Dangling pointers exploitation

From: "Thomas Ptacek" <tqbf () matasano com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 12:19:04 -0500

We're getting into a semantic argument I'm not interested in. The
"class" of vulnerabilities I'm considering are "pointers that take
what appears to be an unpredictable wild value, where attackers can
influence either the value of the pointer or the memory the pointer
points at". That class includes Halvar's stale stack frames,
use-after-free, Dowd's Sendmail exception-safety hole, and C++ STL
iterator invalidations.

I'm pretty sure we agree there are similarities here. I'm totally
uninterested in who-invented-what. I'm very interested in new
techniques to trigger this class of vulnerabilities. Which is what I
told Dennis. =)