Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Announcing metasm

From: "Thomas Ptacek" <tqbf () matasano com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 11:41:58 -0500

I've learned not to benchmark ideas against MOSDEF; it's dispiriting.

The difference between my code and yours, apart from maturity and
originality, is that yours focuses on assembly language and mine
focuses on a class hierarchy for opcodes. I wanted to see how far I
could get using Python as a superficial IL for x86.

My goal isn't shellcode; it's process[or] manipulation. I used it to
write a debugger to run over firewire.

Thomas Ptacek wrote:
We've had a lot of luck with a very similar approach. Ours is in
Python, only supports x86, and isn't as complete; it also tries
less hard to look like a DSL. But we like it. If anyone's
interested, we'd be happy to post.
How do these things differ from MOSDEF (other than having a disassembler?)

--
---
Thomas H. Ptacek // matasano security