Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Wireless spaces

From: Adrien Krunch Kunysz <adrien () kunysz be>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 08:18:03 +0200

On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 01:01:07PM -0700, J.M. Seitz wrote:
You may not be able to do that in Visio, but you can build the Internet in
Visio http://www.shunra.com/network_simulation_products now THAT's badass!

I don't understand much about the marketing droids speech on that web
page but it reminds me of virtual coordinates estimation systems.
Basically you take some measurements using a predefined metric between
some hosts on the network, you calculate the virtual coordinates of
each host to minimize the error between virtual distances and real
distances and you can can instantly calculate a distance estimation
between any two hosts.

This is used in some experimental network monitoring systems like the
Scalable Sensing Service (S^3). I have never heard of anybody applying
it to detect malicious hosts but it could work I guess. You "just" have
to choose a good metric for this purpose.

Some virtual coordinates estimation systems include Netvigator [0]
(used in S^3 [1]), Global Network Positioning (GNP) [2], Practical
Internet Coordinates (PIC) [3] and Vivaldi [4]. Here [5] is a
short comparison between GNP, PIC and Vivaldi with a discussion
about the choice of the geometric space to use to model networks
(see section 2.4, disclaimer: I wrote this).

[0] http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/2004/HPL-2004-28R1.html
[1] http://networking.hpl.hp.com/s-cube/
[2] http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~eugeneng/research/gnp/
[3] http://research.microsoft.com/users/mcastro/publications/PIC-ICDCS.pdf