Dailydave mailing list archives

VA Vendor Tip?

From: "Jeff Moore" <cisoguy () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 08:44:06 -0700

Does anyone on the list have a good recommendation for a VA software
vendor?  I am currently an eEye Retina customer but need to find a better
solution with an actual development team in place to support that solution.
Is Tenable a good choice?

http://www.darkreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=125486&WT.svl=news1_4

"Preview represents the third "pillar" of eEye's business, says Marc
Maiffret, CTO and chief hacking officer for eEye, joining its flagship
Retina Network Scanner and Blink endpoint security software. eEye made a
name for itself after discovering, and naming, the infamous CodeRed worm in
2001. "

Third pillar?  The other two pillars are crumbling so they set up a third
one to prop up what is left.  As a Retina customer I am very dissatisfied to
see that eEye just fired the entire team responsible for Retina including
guys like Ryan Permeh.  They also cut their QA team which will make bad
products even worse.  Their engineering staff is down to three or four guys
and they want to jump in the professional services game?

What research team are you trying to sell?  The only researcher you have
left is this guy - http://datarescue.com/idabase/hallofshame.html and of
course chief hacking officer who has never discovered a bug.

"eEye made a name for itself after discovering, and naming, the infamous
CodeRed worm in 2001. "

It is now 2007.  What have you done lately eEye?  I don't think anyone cares
that you "discovered" a 6 year old worm.  Your customers want stability and
a future not a scheme (preview) for your VC to grab some extra cash before
they turn out the lights.

So while you are chasing 50K from those who are still impressed by CodeRed
and stolen copies of IDA your core customers, those who you have abandoned
like you did the engineers responsible for those products will take their
money to other more stable vendors that offer some sort of stability.

Maybe is time to throw in the towel.  If Retina is the flagship then that
ship has sailed into some rocks and sunk.

-J