Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Useless fact of the day!

From: "J.A. Terranson" <measl () mfn org>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 13:34:03 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 6 Jan 2007, Dave Aitel wrote:

The other thing I want to try some day is using the LSA Open Handle stuff
remotely to just open an infinite number of handles. Every one's so picky in
MSDN about always closing the handles to avoid handle leaks, but I'm betting
Win32 will be ok even if you don't. And if it's not, hey, no more handles
for anyone, anonymously and remotely, which is also fun. :> Maybe someone's
already done this and can save us all the trouble?

Just this very week against a W2003 Server, by accident.  How timely a
postulation...

Complete and utter ceasation of any new activity, even desktop and
attempts to bring up Task Manager.  Everything which already had an open
and working handle was fine and continued to operate almost normally (just
a slight degradation in throughput).  Our assumption was this was our
fault due to the box being older and not up to patch, but who knows?

--
Yours,

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin () mfn org
0xBD4A95BF

"In the age-old contest between popularity and principle, only those
willing to lose for their convictions are deserving of posterity's
approval."

Gerald Ford