Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Vista speach recognition

From: Robert Graham <robert_david_graham () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 21:34:17 -0800 (PST)

There are some easy defenses.

Echo-cancelation software is pretty straightforward. It would be
straightforward to remove anything coming out of the speakers from being picked
up by the microphone. Unfortunately, it would also be CPU intensive.

Unfortunately, more and more households have multiple computer, so while the
echo-cancelation computer wouldn't get hit, another computer in the room or
down the hall might.

The Logitech microphone on my desktop has a lighted-button that shows when the
microphone is on/off. That's one simple defense.

--- George Ou <george_ou () lanarchitect net> wrote:

It won't bypass UAC and it won't let you have the command prompt control.
You can open the command prompt but it won't actually run commands.
However, you can wake an idle speech system, interact with the desktop,
delete user files, and do all this without user interaction or ever
triggering UAC or Secure Desktop.  That sounds like a serious remote exploit
to me.  There are mitigating factors of course, but it's still pretty
serious.  I figured this was too obvious to be an exploit, but I figured
wrong.

George

  _____