Dailydave mailing list archives

fsfuzzer on Matasano blog and forthcoming BSD port release

From: L.M.H. <lmh () info-pull com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 22:58:55 +0200

Just got a pointer to a Matasano post about fsfuzzer and some work on NTFS [1].

I have some code done for win32 but until I polish it and make some
(non-breaking, for the conspiracy crack heads out there :-) ) changes,
it won't be released. Hopefully I'll have time for that later this
month.

Anyway, I've finally ported fsfuzzer to BSD, mostly a from-the-scratch
version (except for mangle.c). It's been effective so far. ISO9660
code seems to be fairly resistant in one particular BSD flavor, which
is nice, or just a mistake I've done somewhere else.

I'm trying to document most of the issues and steps taken (with
screenshots, checking updates, testing on multiple platforms, etc).
It's a lengthy process (and when you have couple different systems it
can turn out as a rather boring and repetitive task...). Thus, I want
to make sure it's clear that MoKB is open for contributions.

I'll put up a gallery (not a hall of shame, yet) and some notes about
the code and pointers to information and third-party tools that may be
of interest.

Also, an update to the bug list (current at [2]) will be published
soon, including new *BSD, Linux and Solaris issues. XNU fun coming
soon.

[1]: http://www.matasano.com/log/561/filesystems-fall-to-primitive-fuzzing-tools/
[2]: http://projects.info-pull.com/mokb/fs-bugs-23-10-2006.txt.asc

Cheers.