Dailydave mailing list archives

lots of monkeys staring at a screen....security?

From: "Dave Aitel" <dave.aitel () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 08:09:37 -0400

Well, it turns out IDS's and managed security services can at least provide
financial security. :>

Sourcefire IPO's. Something they were on track to do anyways until
Checkpoint offered them too much money to turn down, I assume.

http://www.sourcefire.com/news/press_releases/pr102506.html

BT Group buys Counterpane for 20M. What were Counterpane's revanues I
wonder. You always heard about them, but I never saw them at an actual
client.

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2006/10/bt_acquires_cou.html

My feeling is that IDS is 1980's technology and doesn't work anymore. This
makes Sourcefire and Counterpane valuable because they let people fill the
checkbox at the lowest possible cost, but if it's free for all IBM customers
to throw an IDS in the mix then the price of that checkbox is going to get
driven down as well.

-dave