Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: tiny PE now at... 304 bytes. Is this the end?

From: BobCat <dailydave () bobcats info>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 19:35:07 -0400

On 10/20/06, Dave Korn <dave.korn () artimi com> wrote:

 It may be two bytes, but all it does is raise an exception.  That's not
"grabbing a file from the internet and executing it".

I think it does actually get executed. That was the only spec. Not
that it does anything useful...

 OTOH, what does "NTVDM does not support a ROM BASIC" mean?  Sounds
interesting...

The program is just INT 18

http://lrs.uni-passau.de/support/doc/interrupt-57/RB-2177.HTM

and there's no reason for a virtual ROM BASIC, so it's not there. Try
that program on a 386 under OS/2 2.0 and the BIOS reports "NO ROM
BASIC" in big block letters (in a window) which is what you saw if you
did not have a boot device. Usually that is - many systems behaved
this way back then. I never tried it on a machine with rom basic,
which I think only the IBM PC and XT had.
I wrote a 6 (iirc) byte program that under OS/2 would open a window
with the BIOS setup running in it. Can't find it atm.