Dailydave mailing list archives

Job Opening (contains propaganda)

From: "451 Careers" <451careers () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 15:09:23 -0400

Hi, Y'all

What follows is an ad for a job available at my company - I apologize in
advance if any takes offense at the commercial nature of the email -
propaganda and job offer tagged as appropriate, please delete at will.

<job offer and propaganda>

The 451 Group (http://www.the451group.com) is an industry analyst company
and we're seeking an enterprise security analyst. Specifically we're looking
for a full-time employee with substantial experience as a security
practitioner as well as as a professional writer or journalist. We won't
even consider people who aren't the above, nor anyone part time or
freelance, no matter how perfect you are for the job. Honest.

The job is, essentially, talking to vendors which make enterprise IT
security products and challenging every single line of their marketing with
questions about how it does what it claims it does and what, specifically,
makes it different from the 42 other vendors which say the same thing.

We're seriously objective - a total and honest and for-true separation
between sales and analysis - so if something sucks you can say so, and list
your reasons why. We ban the word 'Solution' unless it refers to something
dissolved in water or something about math. We're not at war with vendors,
just paid to disbelieve much of what they claim until at least reasonably
backed-up. We don't do prescriptive analysis to tell people what to buy - no
magic triangles, no permanent waves - just straight analysis of vendor
business, technology and competitive landscape. We don't write vendor white
papers, we don't sell quotes for press releases and we don't do consulting.
It's clean.

For a sample of the *kind* of stuff you'd have to write, see:

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/columnItem/0,294698,sid14_gci1210976,00.html

where SearchSecurity reprinted a report I wrote on Metasploit back in
August.

Basically we seek a skilled, competent journalist who spent his/her time
working as a security practitioner and isn't afraid to break the cardinal
rule of journalism and have (and express) an opinion, be an expert, and
produce boatloads of output - three to five, 1500-word reports each and
every week.

If you're interested, send us a note. Include links to articles or reports
you've written, or your professional (or at the least, professional-looking)
blog. Again, if you don't have a solid writing background we won't really be
interested - it's not the place to start a writing career or pick up that
writing you stopped in college. We know we're asking a lot and I'm positive
we won't make it worth your while financially if you have this highly
specific skillset.

But it is a really fun gig.

Still here? Great! Drop a line to careers () the451group com with the subject
"Security Analyst". Please do not reply to this gmail address unless you
want to send your credentials on a one-way trip to Pluto.

</job offer and propaganda>

Nick