Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: NSRL status check

From: Lance Spitzner <lance () honeynet org>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 08:58:35 -0600

The way I read it, the most recent release was made October 2006:
http://www.nsrl.nist.gov/Downloads.htm#isos

On the face of it such a list seems useful in forensic situations
at least.

Indeed. Most commercial forensic software comes with instructions on
how to use NSRL RDS with the software.

When I used to work for Sun on incident response, Sun maintained a
MD5 repository (and they may still do so today), of all the known
binaries released by Sun. The idea was, you could do an automated
check on a system, looking for Sun binaries that did not match any
known signatures.  Based on this model, an easy way to create a
backdoor would be to simply replace a current binary/file with
another known/valid file, but one that is much older and with known
vulnerabilities.

lance