Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Kernel 'developer' makes fuzzy FUD (RH Episodes: Volume 1)

From: Steve Grubb <sgrubb () redhat com>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 15:12:51 -0500

On Sunday 12 November 2006 13:14, L.M.H wrote:
On the crediting part... hmm, mind if I ask you who approached you
with filesystem issues back in March?

OK, let's clear the air on this. You did. The whole story is in the README
file of http://people.redhat.com/sgrubb/files/fsfuzzer-0.6.tar.gz.

BTW, how's that in every mention from Red Hat (as in employees,
including yourself) about fsfuzzer, it appears as you're the only one,
first and original, developer of fsfuzzer?

Simple mistake and that's all. In the reply to Gadi, I mentioned that I
updated the program and tested against a current kernel and found real
problems. I wrote the code so that other people could troubleshoot/fix the
problem and gave it to them. When they posted the patch to lkml, They were
excited about this new tool and assumed I wrote the whole thing.

I had figured that we would have done a proper study of file system problems,
fix them, & release a paper. The accidental disclosure of the program without
a proper release kinda messed it all up. In pure lines of code currently
being distributed, I wrote most of it. In terms of the uniqueness of the
idea, the basic technique it uses, and taking it to other OSes, its all your
work. Bravo...seriously.

And I would like to know about your comment on that bugzilla entry
begging for the bug to be fixed 'before the month of kernel bugs
starts (nov. 1)'.

Real simple. We had a verified fix and it needed to get out to all Linux
distributions. The responsible thing to do is to fix the problem, get the
patch to people, and then talk about it. I felt like you wanted to skip to
the part where its discussed without people having a fix as payback for
accident disclosure of the program.

-Steve