Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Forensics: USB fobs

From: felix-dailydave () fefe de
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 18:30:37 +0100

Thus spake Dave Aitel (dave () immunityinc com):
Someone yesterday at a conference talk I went to told the crowd that
you can overwrite a file (aka srm it) on a USB Key fob and it will
still be there
for Autopsy to see. That makes no sense to me. Can anyone verify this?

On flash media you have a limit on how often you can overwrite a sector.
It's about 10000 times.  For typical FAT file systems, that means the
FAT region will be the first to fail.

So they put a translation layer between the actual media and the
hardware, so that logically you read/write sector 5, but the layer
remaps the physical layout so that you distribute the writes optimally.

I don't know how many usb sticks have this, but I know that embedded
people using flash memory do this.  Linux even has a file system that
does this for you.

Felix