Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Question of the day: iTunes + Watermarking?

From: "Michael Spath" <michael.spath () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 21:31:07 +0200

On 7/10/06, Steve Tornio <steve () vitriol net> wrote:

I followed the exact same procedure, on my PowerBook
and a co-worker's Mac Mini, and received identical results.
I don't know why the resulting hash is different from yours.

Extracting the same audio track with different drives often give
different files, although with the same size. If both extraction
went fine, the same data will be in the file, but shifted and
padded with zeroes. This comes from the fact that the CD-DA
Red Book does not clearly specifies where audio starts, thus
different drive manufacturers did implement different drive
offsets (both on reading and writing). If you can't find a
ripping tool which handles read offsets, you'll have to align
audio data in the files by hand.

regards,
--spath