Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Strcpy

From: H D Moore <hdm-daily-dave () digitaloffense net>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 16:49:39 -0500

Time to eat my words. The wcscpy() destination pointer trick doesn't seem
doable on XP SP2 or 2003 SP1. I don't believe you can exploit this bug
for more than a DoS on 2003 SP2/XP SP1. If you have information to the
contrary, please share.

Microsoft made a statement to the effect that the "public" code is denial
of service only. Strange that "public" doesn't include any member of the
public who purchased a copy from Core or Immunity. The Metasploit module
has been updated and should reliably exploit NT 4.0, all versions of
Windows 2000, and Windows XP SP0/SP1 using the default target. I included
an example of a non-wcscpy() target in case anyone wants to play with it.

A quick link for those who don't use msfupdate:
http://metasploit.com/projects/Framework/modules/exploits/netapi_ms06_040.pm

-HD