Dailydave mailing list archives

Instruction Stream Generators and Virtual Machines

From: Chris <info () delsec net>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 19:26:17 -0700

While working on a disassembler project of mine in a VMware install
tonight I had an idea, perhaps not a new idea at all, but thought
provoking at the very least. Most processor designers and virtual
machine developers (professional developers at least) probably (SHOULD)
test their implementation using an Instruction Stream Generator of some
type. Has anyone done any research into using these types of tools to
perform some sort of fuzz testing of virtual machine implementations
for faults/hiccups/vulnerabilities that would otherwise compromise or
give away the presence of a VM? Would it even be worth the time/effort?
I can not find any open or free tools to start the testing on my own. So
if anyone finds this idea interesting and wants to work on a framework
or tool let me know. And if this topic has been covered before, excuse
my ignorance, and please point me in the right direction :)

Chris

Chris
Key ID: 7E8DE44E
info () delsec net