Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: We have met the enemy, and the enemy is ... you.

From: "Mehta, Neel (ISS Atlanta)" <NMehta () iss net>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 19:11:04 -0400

I was personally involved in our competitive analysis of Determina's
"memory firewall" product. We successfully compromised a system with
Determina's product installed using a user-mode vanilla stack overflow
in a core Windows service. Total time from first install to compromise:
3 hours.

This is about typical and probably no surprise to anyone who has looked
at similar products. You'll find that every HIPS-only system is going to
be vulnerable to similar if not identical evasions. I won't completely
ruin the surprise, but the core of one of the weaknesses in their
product is based around a lack of proper segmentation. I'm not entirely
convinced it can be fixed without ruining performance.

This evasion is definitely not vapor-ware. When we talked to Determina
and offered them information on this evasion, they actually refused and
were uninterested in how we were bypassing their product. Ignorance is
bliss?

I'll take this opportunity to once again invite anyone working for
Determina to contact myself or ISS about this evasion.

Thanks,

Neel Mehta
Team Lead, X-Force R&D