Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: CISSP quote of the week

From: Paul Wouters <paul () xelerance com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 20:36:54 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006, Dave Aitel wrote:

- From Focus-IDS, which has the highest CISSP density of any known
mailing list comes our CISSP QUOTE OF THE WEEK!
****
"Also, the majority of attacks in the wild are well-known and easily
detected and blocked. "
****

How do they know that they are detecting the "majority" of the attacks?
I was under the, apparently false, impression that they would actually
not be able to detect the undetectable attacks....

Then again, I don't have my CISSP certification, and lack the skills
of making advanced protocols such as the newly released Traffic Light
Protocol ("TLP") for responsible vulnerability sharing by a certain
national infrastructure agency, who think that handling security is like
playing with Tonka cars.

Paul